According to allpubliclibraries, Sun City West, Arizona is located in Maricopa County and is a suburb of Phoenix. This city has a desert climate with hot summers and mild winters. The city is known for its hot temperatures and low humidity. The average high temperature in the summer is over 100°F.
The area around Sun City West was first settled by ranchers in the late 19th century. In 1960, a group of developers bought the land and began to build the retirement community that would become Sun City West. The city was incorporated in 1984. Today, Sun City West is home to nearly 28,000 people and is considered one of the best places to retire in Arizona.
Politically, Sun City West leans Republican but also has a strong Democratic base as well. It has been represented by Republicans at both federal and state levels for many years but has recently seen an increase in Democratic voters as well.
The economy of Sun City West relies heavily on tourism and retirement income from its residents. There are several golf courses, shopping centers, restaurants, and other attractions that bring people to the area from all over Arizona and beyond.
Sun City West is served by two public school districts: Deer Valley Unified School District and Dysart Unified School District. Both districts offer excellent educational options for students ranging from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several private schools in the area that provide additional options for families looking for alternative education programs or specialized curriculums like Montessori or religious-based schools.
Some of the most popular landmarks in Sun City West include RHOADS Park which offers walking trails, sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds; The Recreation Center which provides recreational activities such as swimming pools, tennis courts; golf courses; bowling alley; pickleball courts; softball fields; bocce ball courts; shuffleboard courts; horseshoe pits; volleyball courts; fitness center with classes like yoga & water aerobics etc.; library with free internet access & computer lab etc.; Arts & Crafts Center with pottery classes & woodworking shop etc.; Senior Center offering activities & social events for seniors living in Sun City West etc..
Males: 11,893 (45.1%), Females: 14,451 (54.9%)
Zip codes: 85375.
Median resident age: 73.2 years
Median household income: $43,347
Median house value: $142,900
Races in Sun City West:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.2%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (26.0%), English (20.2%), Irish (12.6%), Swedish (5.0%), Polish (4.8%), Norwegian (4.7%).
Elevation: 1234 feet
Land area: 11.1 square miles
Sun City West, Arizona is a 55+ retirement community located in Maricopa County, about 20 miles northwest of Phoenix. The population of Sun City West is approximately 27,000 people. This retirement community includes both single-family homes and multi-family dwellings. The majority of the population is over the age of 65, with approximately 80% of the residents being retirees. The median household income for Sun City West residents is $37,000 and the median age is 74 years old. Sun City West offers plenty of amenities to its residents including golf courses, swimming pools, fitness centers, and shopping centers. There are also many clubs and organizations that offer activities such as bridge clubs and craft classes. There are several churches throughout the city as well as a library and a senior center that provide activities such as exercise classes and educational workshops. Additionally, there are several medical facilities nearby to help meet the needs of seniors in this community. Sun City West provides a safe and secure environment for its residents with minimal crime rates compared to other cities in Arizona. Overall it is an ideal place for retired individuals who want to enjoy life in a peaceful setting while still having access to all that Arizona’s beautiful desert has to offer.
For population 25 years and over in Sun City West
- High school or higher: 91.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 29.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.7%
- Unemployed: 7.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sun City West CDP
- Never married: 2.8%
- Now married: 78.7%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 15.4%
- Divorced: 2.9%
5.2% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 1.6% North America).
Hospital/medical center in Sun City West:
- DEL E WEBB MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (14502 WEST MEEKER BLVD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Sun City West:
- WALTER O BOSWELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SUN CITY, AZ)
- THUNDERBIRD SAMARITAN HOSP & HLTH CTR (about 13 miles; GLENDALE, AZ)
- HEALTHSOUTH VALLEY OF THE SUN (about 14 miles; GLENDALE, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sun City West:
- LUKE AFB (about 10 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Abbreviation: LUF)
- PHOENIX SKY HARBOR INTL (about 30 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Abbreviation: PHX)
- WILLIAMS GATEWAY (about 56 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Abbreviation: IWA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sun City West:
- PLEASANT VALLEY (about 12 miles; PEORIA, AZ; Abbreviation: P48)
- GLENDALE MUNICIPAL (about 12 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Abbreviation: GEU)
- PHOENIX GOODYEAR (about 18 miles; GOODYEAR, AZ; Abbreviation: GYR)
Amtrak station near Sun City West:
- 19 miles: PHOENIX NORTHWEST (PHOENIX, 8101 BLACK CANYON FWY.) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sun City West:
- ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY-WEST (about 13 miles; Glendale, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,334)
- GLENDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 9,981)
- GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE INC (about 20 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,091)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 20 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- PHOENIX COLLEGE (about 22 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 5,911)
- PARADISE VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 25 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,410)