According to 800zipcodes, Rossville is a small city located in the state of Illinois, about an hour’s drive south of Chicago. The city is situated along the banks of the Vermilion River and is surrounded by rolling hills and lush farmland. The climate in Rossville is typical of the Midwest, with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature during summer months ranges from 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit while winter temperatures range from 20-35 degrees Fahrenheit.
The city was first settled in 1836 by German immigrants who established a small farming community. Over time, the town grew as more people moved to Rossville and businesses were established. Today, Rossville has a population of just over 4,000 people and is governed by a mayor-council form of government.
The economy in Rossville is largely based on agriculture and manufacturing. Large farms produce corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, and other crops while several manufacturing companies have set up shop within the city limits to employ locals. In addition to agriculture and manufacturing, there are also several smaller businesses that help keep the local economy strong.
Education is important for the citizens of Rossville with several public schools located within city limits such as Rossville Elementary School and Rossville High School. There are also two private schools in town – St Mary’s Catholic School and Abundant Life Academy – both providing quality education for their students.
Rossville has many historical landmarks that reflect its rich history such as the Civil War Monument at Town Square Park which honors veterans from both sides of the war; O’Connor’s Irish Pub which dates back to 1877; and Olde Mill Museum which houses artifacts from early settlers dating back to 1836 when the first settlers arrived in town. These landmarks help tell stories of past generations while providing insight into how life once was in this small Midwestern town.
Population: 1,217. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,183 (-2.8% change)
Males: 576 (47.3%), Females: 641 (52.7%)
Zip code: 60963
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $36,442
Median house value: $58,200
Races in Rossville:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.9%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (20.6%), English (17.1%), United States (11.7%), Irish (10.9%), Dutch (4.3%), French (4.2%).
Elevation: 706 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Rossville, Illinois is a small town of about 3,500 people located in Vermilion County. It is situated about 20 miles south of Danville, the county seat. The majority of the population is Caucasian, but there is a growing Hispanic population. The median age in Rossville is 40 and the median household income is $45,000. The town has seen a steady growth in population over the last decade due to its proximity to larger cities like Champaign and Urbana-Champaign. There are several small businesses located in Rossville that provide locals with employment opportunities in retail and service industries. Rossville also boasts one of the top-rated school districts in Illinois, which helps attract families to move into the area.
The town offers plenty of recreational activities for residents to enjoy such as parks, trails and golf courses. There are also several local festivals and events held throughout the year that draw visitors from neighboring towns and cities. Additionally, Rossville has an active arts community with art galleries featuring local artists’ work as well as music venues for live performances. With its close proximity to larger cities like Champaign and Urbana-Champaign as well as plenty of recreational activities and cultural events, Rossville provides a great place for families to call home!
For population 25 years and over in Rossville
- High school or higher: 81.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 8.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rossville village
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 10.1%
- Divorced: 11.1%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -118 (-8.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rossville:
- HOOPESTON COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; HOOPESTON, IL)
- UNITED SAMARITANS MED CENTER-LOGAN (about 18 miles; DANVILLE, IL)
- ST VINCENT WILLIAMSPORT HOSPITAL, INC (about 21 miles; WILLIAMSPORT, IN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rossville:
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS-WILLARD (about 48 miles; CHAMPAIGN/URBANA, IL; Abbreviation: CMI)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; LAFAYETTE, IN; Abbreviation: LAF)
- TERRE HAUTE INTERNATIONAL-HULMAN FIELD (about 69 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Abbreviation: HUF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rossville:
- VERMILION COUNTY (about 15 miles; DANVILLE, IL; Abbreviation: DNV)
- KENTLAND MUNI (about 31 miles; KENTLAND, IN; Abbreviation: 50I)
- PAXTON (about 32 miles; PAXTON, IL; Abbreviation: 1C1)
Amtrak station near Rossville:
- 19 miles: DANVILLE (MC DONALD’S, GILBERT ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rossville:
- UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN (about 44 miles; Champaign, IL; Full-time enrollment: 36,284)
- PARKLAND COLLEGE (about 46 miles; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,186)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 53 miles; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 36,407)
- OLIVET NAZARENE UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; BOURBONNAIS, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,597)
- EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; CHARLESTON, IL; Full-time enrollment: 9,582)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-WABASH VALLEY (about 71 miles; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,099)
Public high school in Rossville:
- ROSSVILLE-ALVIN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 112; Location: 350 N CHICAGO; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Rossville:
- ROSSVILLE-ALVIN ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 314; Location: 350 N CHICAGO; Grades: PK – 08)