Ronda, North Carolina is a small town located in Wilkes County in the northwestern part of the state. According to the 2010 census, the population was 968. The town is nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and sits at an elevation of 1,107 feet above sea level. The climate is mild and temperate with four distinct seasons. Summers are warm with high humidity while winters can be cold with occasional snowfall. Check ehangzhou for best time to travel to North Carolina.
The area was originally inhabited by Native American tribes before European settlers arrived in 1750. The town was officially incorporated in 1872 and named after Ronda Caudill, a local resident who had recently passed away.
Politics in Ronda lean towards conservative values and most residents vote Republican. There are no major employers located within the city limits but many people commute to nearby cities for work or shop at local stores that offer goods from all over the world.
Schools in Ronda are part of Wilkes County Schools and include one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school. All schools have been rated as “Excellent” by NC state standards for academic performance and student achievement.
Ronda has several landmarks that attract visitors from all over. The most notable is Old Ronda Bridge which is an old wooden bridge built over Mulberry Creek that has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979. Other landmarks include Mulberry Creek Park which offers camping, fishing, hiking trails, and picnic areas; Historic Downtown Ronda which features several antique shops; and Mountain View Cemetery which dates back to 1869 and contains graves from Civil War veterans.
Population: 460. Estimated population in July 2020: 467 (+1.5% change)
Males: 228 (49.6%), Females: 232 (50.4%)
Zip code: 28670
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $31,875
Median house value: $69,200
Races in Ronda:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.4%)
- Hispanic (4.6%)
- Other race (1.7%)
Ancestries: United States (20.7%), English (10.0%), Irish (9.6%), German (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%), Dutch (1.3%).
Elevation: 935 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Ronda, North Carolina is a small town located in Wilkes County. With a population of just over 400 people, it is considered one of the smallest towns in the state. Despite its small size, Ronda offers a variety of amenities and activities for residents and visitors alike. The cost of living in Ronda is relatively low compared to other cities and towns in the area. The median household income is around $40,000 per year, which allows individuals to purchase basic necessities with ease. Housing prices are also quite affordable in this area; the median home price is around $100,000 for a single-family home. Renters can expect to pay around $700-$800 per month for an apartment or rental house. Property taxes are also quite low at about 1% of the assessed value of the property. In terms of transportation costs, there are several options available including public buses and car rentals from nearby cities or airports. Gas prices tend to be slightly higher than the national average but still relatively inexpensive compared to other cities in North Carolina.
For population 25 years and over in Ronda
- High school or higher: 47.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ronda town
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 66.5%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 5.4%
3.0% Foreign born (3.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +97 (+26.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ronda:
- HUGH CHATHAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; ELKIN, NC)
- WILKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; NORTH WILKESBORO, NC)
- HOOTS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 22 miles; YADKINVILLE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ronda:
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 46 miles; HICKORY, NC; Abbreviation: HKY)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 51 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL (about 71 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Abbreviation: CLT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ronda:
- SWAN CREEK (about 6 miles; JONESVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: 78A)
- WILKES COUNTY (about 10 miles; NORTH WILKESBORO, NC; Abbreviation: UKF)
- ELKIN MUNI (about 12 miles; ELKIN, NC; Abbreviation: ZEF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ronda:
- FORSYTH TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,271)
- CATAWBA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; HICKORY, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,052)
- WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY (about 47 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 5,944)
- ROWAN-CABARRUS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; SALISBURY, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,499)
- WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; WINSTON-SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,508)
- APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; BOONE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 12,245)
- GASTON COLLEGE (about 64 miles; DALLAS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,473)
Public high school in Ronda:
- EAST WILKES HIGH (Students: 513; Location: 13315 ELKIN HWY 268; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Ronda:
- EAST WILKES MIDDLE (Students: 454; Location: 2202 MACEDONIA ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- RONDA-CLINGMAN ELEMENTARY (Students: 304; Location: 316 RONDA-CLINGMAN SCHOOL RD; Grades: PK – 05)