According to best-medical-schools, Morocco, Indiana is located in the northwestern part of the state, approximately 30 miles from the Illinois border. The city has a humid continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. The city has a rich history and was founded in 1836 by settlers from Morocco, Indiana, who named it after their hometown.
The city’s politics are strongly influenced by its small-town mentality and conservative values. The economy is largely based on manufacturing and agriculture, with factories producing automobiles and other products for local businesses. The school system consists of two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. Students from all over the county attend classes at these institutions.
The city is home to many historical landmarks including the Morocco Courthouse, built in 1837; the old post office building; several churches; and an old train station which served as a stop on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad line in the 1880s. Other attractions include a public library, golf course, parks, restaurants, shops, theaters and museums. The town also hosts an annual festival each summer that celebrates its history with parades, music performances and other activities. There are also many recreational opportunities such as hiking trails around nearby lakes or camping in nearby state parks.
Population: 1,127. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,159 (+2.8% change)
Males: 546 (48.4%), Females: 581 (51.6%)
Zip code: 47963
Median resident age: 36.8 years
Median household income: $32,176
Median house value: $65,500
Races in Morocco:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.4%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (27.3%), Irish (14.9%), English (13.8%), United States (10.1%), French (4.5%), Swedish (4.3%).
Elevation: 698 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Morocco, Indiana is located in Newton County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,830. The town is a rural community with a small-town feel. The majority of the population resides in single-family homes and small apartment complexes. The median age is 38 years old, and the median household income is around $41,000. The racial makeup of Morocco is 82% White, 7% African American, 6% Hispanic or Latino and 5% other races. There are many young families living in Morocco as well as retirees who have chosen to make Morocco their home.
The town has a thriving business community with several restaurants and shops located along Main Street. There are also several churches located throughout town that serve a variety of denominations and faiths. Education is important to the people of Morocco and there are two public schools located within the town limits; North Newton Elementary School and North Newton Junior-Senior High School. Both schools provide an excellent education for students from kindergarten through grade twelve. In addition to public school options there are also several private schools available for those seeking alternative education options for their children’s schooling needs.
For population 25 years and over in Morocco
- High school or higher: 76.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Morocco town
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 52.9%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 13.7%
- Divorced: 10.6%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +75 (+7.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Morocco:
- JASPER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; RENSSELAER, IN)
- IROQUOIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; WATSEKA, IL)
- RIVERSIDE MEDICAL CENTER (about 31 miles; KANKAKEE, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Morocco:
- GARY/CHICAGO (about 46 miles; GARY, IN; Abbreviation: GYY)
- PORTER COUNTY MUNI (about 47 miles; VALPARAISO, IN; Abbreviation: VPZ)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; LAFAYETTE, IN; Abbreviation: LAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Morocco:
- KENTLAND MUNI (about 14 miles; KENTLAND, IN; Abbreviation: 50I)
- LAKE VILLAGE (about 15 miles; LAKE VILLAGE, IN; Abbreviation: C98)
- LOWELL (about 19 miles; LOWELL, IN; Abbreviation: C97)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Morocco:
- OLIVET NAZARENE UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; BOURBONNAIS, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- GOVERNORS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; UNIVERSITY PARK, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,191)
- PRAIRIE STATE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; CHICAGO HEIGHTS, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,523)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-NORTHWEST (about 42 miles; GARY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 3,208)
- IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE-NORTHWEST (about 43 miles; GARY, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,432)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-CALUMET CAMPUS (about 45 miles; HAMMOND, IN; Full-time enrollment: 6,312)
- SOUTH SUBURBAN COLLEGE (about 46 miles; SOUTH HOLLAND, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,599)
Public high school in Morocco:
- NORTH NEWTON JR-SR HIGH SCH (Students: 769; Location: 1641 W 250 N; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Morocco:
- MOROCCO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 205; Location: 310 S LINCOLN – PO BOX 50; Grades: KG – 06)